Once you’ve been kitted out in our designer waders, you’ll embark on a reef tour at low tide with our experienced guides.
During your Reef Ecology tour, you’ll have the opportunity to observe and interact with the natural inhabitants of Tatapouri under the guidance of our guides.
What to Expect from our Reef Tour?
The Reef Ecology tour is a walk over the reef at low tide, you are kitted out in waders to keep you dry. When arriving at the drop off (similar to scenes from the movie Finding Nemo) you stand in the water whilst our resident Short Tail Stingrays and Eagle Ray Stingrays and other reef dwellers swim around at your feet. Let Pancake and Waffle two of our Short Tail stingrays sit on your feet and wait for a gentle stroke, hard to imagine that Stingrays are perceived to be dangerous.
During the Reef Ecology tour, you’ll have the opportunity to observe and interact with the Stingrays, Eagle Rays, Kingfish and other reef dwellers under the guidance our guides. The guides will provide information about the local inhabitants who live on the reef. The marine life on our reef is not enclosed all animals are free to come and go.
Who should go on our interactive reef tour?
Dive Tatapouri’s reef tour is a must-do activity for anyone visiting Gisborne, New Zealand.
This popular tourist attraction is suitable for all ages and large groups can be accommodated by prior arrangement. Our Reef Ecology Tour is one of the top Gisborne NZ things to do so we recommend booking in so you are not disappointed if we are unable to accommodate your group.
As well as tourists and anyone interested in the stunning marine life at Tatapouri Bay, the Reef Ecology Tour is ideal for school excursions and team building days. Children are welcome and we do have a banana boat that the children can ride on and be pulled over the reef. They can get off and interact with the Stingrays however all participants including adults must follow our guide’s instructions at all times this is to safe guard our marine life and also our humans.
Reef Ecology Tour - Essential Information
COVID 19 - IMPORTANT INFORMATION -
The team at Dive Tatapouri are able to run our Reef Ecology Tours under the Traffic Light system as outlined by the NZ Government. We ask you wear your mask at the time of check in and within the inside of the facility.
- We will only be taking payment through our on line booking system so please ensure you enter your credit card details at the time of booking, we do not take the payment until time of check in so nothing will be charged to your card in the first instance.
- Please ensure you and your guests complete the online waiver form that is sent to you (forward onto your other guest accompanying you) this means we do not have to do it at the time of check in and also checks our contact tracing requirements.
- If you are sick please stay home and phone us to cancel the booking we will not be charging cancellation fees at this time as long as you advise us you can not make the tour.
• Our reef tours are suitable for all ages.
• Bookings are essential – our reef tours are popular! and are run around the low tides daily.
• Waders are provided by Dive Tatapouri please note our waders only go to shoe size 13 and waist size 18.
Waders are only available for children aged 4yrs or older and may be quite big on them. For children under the age 4yrs waders will not be available and they will need to sit on banana boat or be carried.
Our Banana Boat is available for smaller children who are to small to walk however please be aware parent / caregiver will be required to help pull it over the reef and remain with it during the tour. We do not provide life jackets for children so if you wish to have your child in a life jacket please bring one with you.
• Reef tour times depend on tides and weather and sea conditions.
• Allow up to an hour and half for the Reef Ecology Tour including check in.
• Large groups can be accommodated by prior arrangement.
• Pack your waterproof camera – you’ll need it!
All tours run from our beachfront location 15mins drive from the city of Tairawhiti Gisborne you need to be with us 20 mins prior to tour for check in
Not suitable for people with limited mobility (check with us if you are unsure)