Once you’ve been kitted out in our designer waders, you’ll embark on a reef tour at low tide with our experienced guides.
During your Reef Ecology tour, you’ll have the opportunity to observe and interact with the natural inhabitants of Tatapouri under the guidance of our guides.
What to Expect from our Reef Tour?
The Reef Ecology tour is a walk over the reef at low tide, you are kitted out in waders to keep you dry. When arriving at the drop off (similar to scenes from the movie Finding Nemo) you stand in the water whilst our resident Short Tail Stingrays and Eagle Ray Stingrays and other reef dwellers swim around at your feet. Let Pancake and Waffle two of our Short Tail stingrays sit on your feet and wait for a gentle stroke, hard to imagine that Stingrays are perceived to be dangerous.
During the Reef Ecology tour, you’ll have the opportunity to observe and interact with the Stingrays, Eagle Rays, Kingfish and other reef dwellers under the guidance our guides. The guides will provide information about the local inhabitants who live on the reef. The marine life on our reef is not enclosed all animals are free to come and go.
You’ll also learn about local legends of Tairawhiti Gisborne and gain an insight into some of the methods once used by Maori to manage their natural resource.
Who should go on our interactive reef tour?
Dive Tatapouri’s reef tour is a must-do activity for anyone visiting Gisborne, New Zealand.
This popular tourist attraction is suitable for all ages and large groups can be accommodated by prior arrangement. Our Reef Ecology Tour is one of the top Gisborne NZ things to do so we recommend booking in so you are not disappointed if we are unable to accommodate your group.
As well as tourists and anyone interested in the stunning marine life at Tatapouri Bay, the Reef Ecology Tour is ideal for school excursions and team building days. Children are welcome and we do have a banana boat that the children can ride on and be pulled over the reef. They can get off and interact with the Stingrays however all participants including adults must follow our guide’s instructions at all times this is to safe guard our marine life and also our humans.
Reef Ecology Tour - Essential Information
COVID 19 - IMPORTANT INFORMATION -
- We will only be taking payment through our on line booking system so please ensure you enter your credit card details at the time of booking, we do not take the payment until time of check in so nothing will be charged to your card in the first instance.
- Please ensure you and your guests complete the online waiver form that is sent to you (forward onto your other guest accompanying you) this means we do not have to do it at the time of check in and also checks our contact tracing requirements.
- If you are sick please stay home and phone us to cancel the booking we will not be charging cancellation fees at this time as long as you advise us you can not make the tour. If you have symptoms of the Covid-19 virus or may have come in contact with someone that does have, then you must follow the Ministry of Health guidelines - contact number is 0800 358 5453.
- We take pride in keeping our facility clean, we have upgraded our cleaning processes during this time. We have hand sanitiser in the office at the check in desk and also in the main facility and our bathrooms contain antibacterial soap and paper towels, please remember to follow the guide lines of hand washing, signage has been placed around the facility to follow.
- When guides take you or your group onto the reef there will now be in place a social distance in the line of up to an arm length between each booked group a little different to what you may have experienced if you have been before.
Lastly we all like a warm welcome but please use the East Coast Wave in place of handshakes, cuddles, hongi or kisses. Lets take care of ourselves and one another at this time.
• Our reef tours are suitable for all ages.
• Bookings are essential – our reef tours are popular!and are run around the low tides daily.
• Waders are provided by Dive Tatapouri please note our waders only go to shoe size 13 and waist size 18.
Waders are only available for children aged 4yrs or older and may be quite big on them. For children under the age 4yrs waders will not be available and they will need to sit on banana boat or be carried.
Our Banana Boat is available for smaller children who are to small to walk however please be aware parent / caregiver will be required to help pull it over the reef and remain with it during the tour. We do not provide life jackets for children so if you wish to have your child in a life jacket please bring one with you.
• Reef tour times depend on tides and weather and sea conditions.
• Allow up to an hour and half for the Reef Ecology Tour including check in.
• Large groups can be accommodated by prior arrangement.
• Pack your waterproof camera – you’ll need it!
All tours run from our beachfront location 15mins drive from the city of Tairawhiti Gisborne
Not suitable for people with limited mobility (check with us if you are unsure)